Study: Gamers enjoy fear created by video games

• Hello Guest! Welcome to ConsoleCrunch, to help support our site check out the premium upgrades HERE! to get exclusive access to our hidden content.
  • Unable to load portions of the website...
    If you use an ad blocker addon, you should disable it because it interferes with several elements of the site and blocks more than just adverts.
  • Read Rules Before Posting Post Virus Scans with every program.

Nour

Active Poster
Jan 26, 2014
The fear you feel when you're playing a horror video game is real, players get emotionally engrossed in the games and enjoy the fear caused by zombies and darkness they often see, a new study has found.

Researchers found online 269 college students in 2013 about their experiences with popular video games such as 'Resident Evil', 'Call of Duty' and 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent.'

They used a method that has been used in studying fear reactions to non-interactive activities , such as movies and television programs.

They wanted to know whether the fear felt while playing games was the same as with the non-interactive media.

"It was interesting to see how the fright reactions that people had, how the emotional experiences that they were having, differed from those reported with non-interactive media," said Teresa Lynch, PhD student at the Indiana University's Media School.

Lynch said:"There are a lot more of these anxious feelings ... and an enjoyment of that fear,"

half of those surveyed - 44.1 per cent - said they enjoyed feeling scared.

She said :"That answers one part of the question of why do people continue to expose themselves to these aversive stimuli, why do they continue to expose themselves to these things that they know are going to cause an unpleasant emotional experience. It's because to some degree, in some way, they're getting pleasure out of it,"

"A few people did share in open-ended reports they enjoyed the feeling of surviving the experience," said Lynch.

Assistant Professor Nicole Martins said :"They get some enjoyment out of it. They like the feeling of being scared. Maybe the enjoyment comes from the fact that you're getting this rush, knowing that no harm is really going to come to you,"

"I think we share fear experiences because it is something that connects us on a very primal level," said Lynch.

Men reported enjoying and playing more frightening games than women. But, notably, no differences showed in how frequently the sexes experienced fear. They had the same kind of fear.

Source of study: http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/hbem20#.VZnHP1UVikq

Last edited:
Reactions: Irving and Younis

Arrogant

Simply Divine
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2014
UK
Your news writer man. At least take the time and effort to write your own threads. This thread is a fully copy and paste like most of your other threads as well.

Reactions: Nour

Nour

Active Poster
Jan 26, 2014
You can check the other threads bro :) nothing is copied, and if anything is, younis wouldn't have put it in the front page, be sure before offending somebody.

Arrogant

Simply Divine
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2014
UK
You can check the other threads bro :) nothing is copied, and if anything is, younis wouldn't have put it in the front page, be sure before offending somebody.
I'm stating the obvious. Also you write a line and put a video there and somehow they get front paged. And yes some of your threads are copy and pasted. I'm not trying to start an argument here i'm just saying that in the future you could maybe try and put more effort into your threads. :)

Lindows

Super Moderator
Staff member
Community Elite
Community Veteran
Determined Poster
Console ID Poster
May 26, 2014

Lindows

Super Moderator
Staff member
Community Elite
Community Veteran
Determined Poster
Console ID Poster
May 26, 2014
But ill be honest there isnt much new news out there....

Younis

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Local Celebrity
Community Elite
Community Veteran
Determined Poster
Sep 27, 2013
The fear you feel when you're playing a horror video game is real, players get emotionally engrossed in the games and enjoy the fear caused by zombies and darkness they often see, a new study has found.

Researchers found online 269 college students in 2013 about their experiences with popular video games such as 'Resident Evil', 'Call of Duty' and 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent.'

They used a method that has been used in studying fear reactions to non-interactive activities , such as movies and television programs.

They wanted to know whether the fear felt while playing games was the same as with the non-interactive media.

"It was interesting to see how the fright reactions that people had, how the emotional experiences that they were having, differed from those reported with non-interactive media," said Teresa Lynch, PhD student at the Indiana University's Media School.

Lynch said:"There are a lot more of these anxious feelings ... and an enjoyment of that fear,"

half of those surveyed - 44.1 per cent - said they enjoyed feeling scared.

She said :"That answers one part of the question of why do people continue to expose themselves to these aversive stimuli, why do they continue to expose themselves to these things that they know are going to cause an unpleasant emotional experience. It's because to some degree, in some way, they're getting pleasure out of it,"

"A few people did share in open-ended reports they enjoyed the feeling of surviving the experience," said Lynch.

Assistant Professor Nicole Martins said :"They get some enjoyment out of it. They like the feeling of being scared. Maybe the enjoyment comes from the fact that you're getting this rush, knowing that no harm is really going to come to you,"

"I think we share fear experiences because it is something that connects us on a very primal level," said Lynch.

Men reported enjoying and playing more frightening games than women. But, notably, no differences showed in how frequently the sexes experienced fear. They had the same kind of fear.

Source of study: http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/hbem20#.VZnHP1UVikq
Front paged, added source of study.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • @ QM|T_JinX:
    lol
  • Chat Bot:
    damario has joined the room.
  • @ damario:
    sup
  • @ QM|T_JinX:
    sup
  • @ damario:
    um request only Dragonball z battle of z RTM tool v1.3 by DrobythePouNd420
  • @ damario:
    download link
  • @ damario:
    can u try to make it
  • @ damario:
    Character Changer - Max All - Unlock All
  • @ damario:
    if u have ever played it
  • @ QM|T_JinX:
    sorry can realy find a link
  • @ damario:
    have u played it
  • @ QM|T_JinX:
    i played kakarot on ps4 lol
  • @ damario:
    if so try to make as i dont know how to code
  • @ damario:
    the save wizard codes
  • @ damario:
    i use game genie ps3 save editor
  • @ damario:
    add me
  • @ damario:
    discord
  • @ damario:
    ill send screenshots of the rtm tool
  • @ damario:
    my discord name is Damario Culbreath
  • @ QM|T_JinX:
    name isnt working can add you send good name in pm ill check tomorrow im going to bed its 2 in the morning here
  • @ damario:
    sure
  • @ damario:
    whats your discord name
  • @ QM|T_JinX:
    qmt_jinx
  • @ QM|T_JinX:
    night everyboy im off
  • @ lurch6661:
    night bro
    @ lurch6661: night bro