[VB.NET] Import Excel Spreadsheet to Data Table

• Hello Guest! Welcome to ConsoleCrunch, to help support our site check out the premium upgrades HERE! to get exclusive access to our hidden content.
  • Unable to load portions of the website...
    If you use an ad blocker addon, you should disable it because it interferes with several elements of the site and blocks more than just adverts.
  • Read Rules Before Posting Post Virus Scans with every program.

1UP

Oct 9, 2014
This was something I came up with when I had to update a table from a spreadsheet.

This does not take into account of parameterizing your inputs or sanitizing them. This was just a quick and dirty way of importing data from a spreadsheet to a SQL database
I dumped the data into a table originally so I could get the column names. In my case they were F1 and F2
excelDataTable.png

Code:
Imports System.Data.OleDb
Imports System.Data.SqlClient
Public Class frm_Main

Private Sub frm_Main_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
  Dim excelDataTable As New DataTable
  excelDataTable = ImportExcelToDataTable("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=.\spread.xls;Extended Properties=""Excel 12.0;HDR=No;IMEX=1""")
  grdview_Excel.DataSource = excelDataTable

End Sub

Private Function ImportExcelToDataTable(excelConnString As String) As DataTable
  ImportExcelToDataTable = New DataTable
  Dim excelConn As OleDbConnection = New OleDbConnection(excelConnString)
  Dim oldbDataAdaptor As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$]", excelConn)

excelConn.Open()
  oldbDataAdaptor.Fill(ImportExcelToDataTable)
  excelConn.Close()

End Function

Private Sub importDataToSQL(excelDataTabe As DataTable)
  Dim ConnectionString As String = "Data Source=sqlServer;Initial Catalog=HUB;User ID=USENAME;Password=PASSWORD providerName=System.Data.SqlClient"
  Dim sql As String = ""
  Dim dbConn As SqlConnection
  dbConn = New SqlConnection(ConnectionString)
  dbConn.Open()

For Each row In excelDataTabe.Rows

'F1 and F2 just happen to be the column names that we got from excel. This can be seen in the Datagrid that is on the form
  SQL = "INSERT INTO TABLE VALUES('" & row.Item("F1") & "')"
  Dim sqlcommand As SqlCommand = New SqlCommand(SQL, dbConn)
  sqlcommand.CommandText = SQL
  sqlcommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

Next
  dbConn.Close()
  End Sub
End Class

Reactions: Lindows

Lindows

Super Moderator
Staff member
Community Elite
Community Veteran
Determined Poster
Console ID Poster
May 26, 2014
This was something I came up with when I had to update a table from a spreadsheet.

This does not take into account of parameterizing your inputs or sanitizing them. This was just a quick and dirty way of importing data from a spreadsheet to a SQL database
I dumped the data into a table originally so I could get the column names. In my case they were F1 and F2
excelDataTable.png

Code:
Public Class frm_Main

excelDataTable = ImportExcelToDataTable("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=.\spread.xls;Extended Properties=""Excel 12.0;HDR=No;IMEX=1""")

End Sub

Dim oldbDataAdaptor As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$]", excelConn)

excelConn.Open()
  excelConn.Close()

End Function

Dim ConnectionString As String = "Data Source=sqlServer;Initial Catalog=HUB;User ID=USENAME;Password=PASSWORD providerName=System.Data.SqlClient"
  Dim sql As String = ""
  dbConn.Open()

'F1 and F2 just happen to be the column names that we got from excel. This can be seen in the Datagrid that is on the form

Next
  dbConn.Close()
  End Sub
End Class
What can i exactly do with this?

Irving

ConsoleCrunch Addict
Community Veteran
Determined Poster
Console ID Poster
Oct 6, 2013
Console Crunch

excelDataTable.png

Code:
Public Class frm_Main

End Sub

excelConn.Open()
  excelConn.Close()

End Function

Dim sql As String = ""
  dbConn.Open()

Next
  dbConn.Close()
  End Sub
End Class
Nice post very helpful.

1UP

Oct 9, 2014
What can i exactly do with this?
Already stated what it is for. Maybe not a good example but let's say you just created a new database and had some data already and you wanted a quick way to import it. Well this could be that solution.

Lindows

Super Moderator
Staff member
Community Elite
Community Veteran
Determined Poster
Console ID Poster
May 26, 2014
Already stated what it is for. Maybe not a good example but let's say you just created a new database and had some data already and you wanted a quick way to import it. Well this could be that solution.
oh ok, i get it now :p, i just needed it noob terms :okay:

General chit-chat
Help Users
    @ QM|T_JinX: morning everybody